Built in 1908 by the architect Johann Jakob Nigst, the building, which stands in a prominent location, is a prime example of the free mix of styles that were very popular at the time.
The strong, sandstone-coloured ashlar base floor with its clearly accentuated entrance and large round-floor windows indicates the location of the restaurant. This characterisation of the restaurant as a massive sandstone building may have been influenced by the Kornhauskeller, which had been remodelled ten years earlier. The private living quarters above the restaurant appear rather unobtrusive and restrained in their design.
Since the building permit with the “installation of a restaurant cooker” on 14 May 1908, the “Restaurant Obstberg” has experienced a gastronomic history of over 110 years.
On 1 March 2009, Irene and Lukas Uehlinger signed the lease with the owner of the house and began an extensive two-month renovation.
When it reopens in May 2009, the “Brasserie Obstberg” is resplendent with French charm and a dedicated team. Thanks to a great kitchen performance, the “Brasserie Obstberg” is included in the “Gault Millau” for the first time in October 2014 with 13 points.